the way that light attaches to a girl

a bit of brightness in the slate gray of Chicago

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

so it's been awhile...

My most sincere apologies for the delay in updating my life in the blog-o-sphere. Brian must not be extremely pleased with me, but may eventually come to forgive :) After all, 'tis the season.

A quick update on life and onto thoughts:

1. I did, in fact, make it through senior year and finish my BA. G-d bless the patience and brilliance of my adviser. I graduated with both general and departmental honors from the College with a degree in Jewish Studies and Law, Letters and Society. Apparently, all the struggle/strife/time on the fourth floor of the Reg paid off. In a sick and twisted way, I actually miss the Reg.

2. I still live in Hyde Park in my same place. If you are also in Hyde Park (or not!) stop by sometime.

3. I work for a Jewish non-profit a bit north of Chicago. I started working there in early July and enjoy my job. Stress there ebbs and flows. I have learned a great deal there. My boss and primary co-worker are a trip, and the rest of the staff are very pleasant for the most part. The problems with my job are: given that it's a Jewish organization, there is food. Everywhere. All the time. The commute is also not the greatest, but at least I go to a place that I enjoy and know I make a difference in peoples' lives.

4. I have a car. A beautiful red car that I make car payments on. Having a car in Chicago is the best thing ever, except when you try to park it in Hyde Park.

5. I have a new roommate. It's definitely not what I am used to, but she is super caring and has a huge heart. I think all will be okay.

6. I took the LSAT Saturday. Don't ask me how it went.

I think that's pretty much it. Now, onto thoughts.

One's first year out of college requires a really big adjustment. My roommate is a fourth year and going about her normal schedule of classes, activities, homework, etc. Every day we both get up early; I head off to work and she to her various destinations. I have to say that, while it's nice at night to relax and not do homework, I do miss school. I hope to go back next year. However, if for some reason it doesn't happen, I will move to the north side, get a dog, and keep working. Life will go on and be okay.

Given that the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur just happened, one would think I had, as usual, done tremendous amount of self reflection. Truth be told, I had no time to do that this year because of the timing of the LSAT. I can honestly say that this was the first time I have not even had the chance to enjoy the holidays. They are usually one of my favorite times of year. I can say, however, that this year in its sum total is one of the times when I have done the most soul searching and self reflection since probably age seventeen. And that says a lot, because seventeen was a big year for me.

I am trying to understand that it is okay to enjoy life now, in the present, when things are uncertain. For those who know me, this is extremely difficult. However, of all people, I should know that when the Dave Matthews Band (whose music I do not particularly enjoy) said "life is short but sweet for certain" they really weren't kidding around. It's true. And I am doing my best to figure it out and enjoy the ride.

Note: I realize this post may be convoluted and confusing. If you like, call for details, though I cannot guarantee there will be much more revealed there, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home